Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Obsession

I own a lot of kitchen knives. Here's some pictures of them.



These are my primary go-to knives. I also have three traditional Japanese knives, which I bought as a box set. And then I have a variety of utility knives. Let's go through them all.



This is my Asai wa-gyuto. It's a high-carbon stainless steel blade layered between etched nickel Damascus. It's surprisingly thin and light for its size, and its one of my favorites. It was a little pricey, so I'm still not confident trying to sharpen it. However, it holds its edge very well, so that hasn't been much of a concern.

Gyuto roughly translates to "cow-sword," and this knife excels as a general chef's knife -- meats and veggies. It has a French pattern, which basically means the knife doesn't have as much of a belly. (So, it's more suited to a slicing motion, than a rocking motion.) The edge is rather thin, so it is not suitable for things with bones. Additionally, I'm not a fan of roughly chopping things with this blade -- I have a tiny chip (which is easy to fix, given a competent sharpener) near the tip where a rogue rosemary stem got in the way.



This is my Tojiro-DP honesuki. It's a chicken boning knife -- basically designed to rip a chicken to pieces. It's stainless steel, and it was fairly cheap for a Japanese knife. I just recently got this one, so I look forward to using it more.



This is my French chef knife -- Thiers-Issard Nogent Sabatier. It was made by Thiers-Issard early this century, where at some point it was hidden so it wouldn't be turned into ammunition during WWII. This is the 10" version, and I may actually get the 12" at some point. It's made out of carbon steel, which generally means it has superior edge holding abilities to most stainless steels. The downside however is that it can discolor and rust if not constantly wiped down. Carbon steel also tends to be easier to sharpen.

European steels tend to be "softer" and respond better to steeling to reset edges. Since the steel is a little softer, they also tend to hold up to more abuse without chipping. But they do have to sharpened way more often...

This is my go-to knife to use when I have to do things that might be a bit too abusive for my Japanese knives -- such as ripping a lobster open.



This is my set of single bevel traditional Hon Kasumi Japanese knives. All three are made out of white carbon, so discoloration and rust are a concern when using them. The top one is a yanagi-ba, which is generally used to slice fish fillets. The second is used for the cutting of vegetables. The third is a knife used to fillet fish. I bought these as a box set, so they came together.

Traditional Japanese knives tend to be highly specialized. The single bevels allow them to obtain incredibly sharp edges -- but the downside is that these edges can easily chip or break. But it takes an incredibly sharp instrument to get paper thin slices of fish that you can read through...

I use these a fair amount, and I think over time, I will probably slowly upgrade. Blue steel is considered better than white steel, but it's a lot more expensive. And I would prefer a longer yanagi-ba. But so far, I'm happy with the performance of these knives, and this set was a good introduction.



This is my Masamoto carbon steel gyuto. This is probably the sharpest, most bad-ass of the knives I own, and one of my favorites. It's also an easy one to sharpen. When a vegetable wrongs me and my family, this is the kitchen katana used to render it into pieces.



This is my Messermeister. It's a stainless German knife, but unlike most German knives, it has a 15 degree edge instead of a 20 degree edge. This is probably my favorite for chopping herbs and garlic. I bought this about the same time as I bought my Asai, and used them equally as much, and this one has a much duller edge. It's easy enough to resharpen, and I'd recommend Messermeister to most people who don't want to fuss too much about their knives.



This is my Migaki Oishi petty. It's a utility knife, best suited to paring and peeling. It's a carbon steel blade wedged between two layers of stainless steel. I really dig the handle on this knife, and I may acquire its bigger brother one of these days.

It's also probably one of the sharpest knives I've used, right out of the box.



This is my Kikuichi Elite Carbon sujihiki. It's a carbon steel slicer that is my second-favorite knife. It was made a family that traditionally made swords for over 700 years. It's razor sharp, and pretty easy to sharpen. In fact, here's a video of someone sharpening one:





And finally, these are my utility knives. On the top is a kershaw fish slicer/gutter. The next is a Henckels cleaver. And finally, there's a Shun Nakiri, which is a vegetable cleaver.

3 comments: